Plaza de Panama is the central plaza in San Diego’s Balboa Park and a great place for meeting friends, reading, and enjoying children running around. Until recently it was an ugly parking lot. Converting parking spaces to park space was a great improvement to this area but we can do more.
In the center of the plaza there is a gorgeous fountain (currently running intermittently due to drought concerns in California). The small earth area surrounding the fountain has been replanted many, many times over the past year. The plantings have primarily been small flowers – not drought tolerant, not native. The planting area also precludes visitors from sitting near or on the fountain which would be a natural setting to relax, especially if the fountain was tree shaded. I propose to improve the fountain area and Plaza de Panama in general by adding trees to surround the fountain to provide shade for people sitting and a focal point for the plaza.
Surrounding the fountain eight beautiful trees would shade those enjoying the plaza and echo the colors of San Diego and Spain – red and yellow. This shows civic pride and affirms the Spanish heritage of the park and many of the building structures which were built in Spanish-Renaissance style and feature Spanish names.
At each of the cardinal directions, Autralian Flame Trees would be planted. These trees would grow up to 60 feet tall but have a root structure that is well suited for street curbs or other small spaces. Flame trees also require little to moderate water once established and love full sun and heat which is present at Plaza de Paname.
Between the cardinal point Flame trees Tipu trees will provide the yellow prominent in both flags. Tipu trees grow 25-40 feet tall so would be a lower level canopy beneath the taller Flame trees. Tipu trees also have a root structure that would be appropriate for a small space planting as is the case here.
How does this vision become reality?
- Feedback from landscape architects regarding size, type, coloration, cost, and other considerations
- Approval from Balboa Park / City of San Diego Parks & Recreation to donate trees and labor to Balboa Park for beautification of Plaza de Panama
- Funding for purchases and volunteers for planting from community. Total cost is estimated at $5,000. I selected 36 inch box trees, which would likely be the largest planting size advisable. Flame trees would be $500 each and Tipu trees run $425 each at that size. This estimate includes some money for mulch, soil, and nutrients but does not include labor which is hoped to be provided by volunteers. If labor is hired the cost would likely rise to around $10,000.
- Select date for delivery of trees and planting.
- Install trees, water, enjoy shade which will increase with each year to come
Thoughts on this idea? Let me know in the comments or via email. Cheers!